Monday, January 31, 2011

January 31

It just really hit me the other day that McClain will be turning 5 this July... {welp} where in the world has the time gone? How is it possible that my baby is such a big boy already? I feel like the past 4 + years is just a blurr now. I guess it really just hit me that he was turning 5 this year and that soon he will be going off to school just last week when he had a doctors appointment when the dermatologist (who he has not seen in over a year) asked what our plans where for his schooling. Would we be sending him to school, was he already going to pre-school, would we home school or maybe put him in a special needs class. All these questions all of a sudden had my head spinning. What were we going to do? We have always talked about enrolling him into a private school, believing that would be the best environment for him. But really, its time to really talk about it, not just talk about it but start our research, start the process of applications. Then another slap to the head moment, can he go to school, does he really need to be in a special needs class to try and keep the exposure of germs down. Lets face it I can't even wrap my head around trying to home school, we all know he is already smarter than me (or is it I (LOL)). And really I wouldn't want to home school for the simple fact that I want him to have the socialization and make friends and not just be stuck with him mom all the time (yes, its a front, I will cry when its time to take him to school, just thinking about it makes me want to cry). So I asked Dr. Cheng what he thought about the whole going to school, home school, special needs class ... And his answer was, send him to school. A sigh of relief! So in preparation, in celebration we have started to 'play' school, during Ashton's nap time we grab our work book and each day we learn 1 or 2 letters of the alphabet. So far we are doing really good. McClain is recognizing letters A-F, uppercase and lowercase and working on tracing the letters and doing on his own. He is actually really having fun with it. There is a little fun exercise to do with each letter, maybe a picture to color or a connect the dot picture or a maze to get through. So everyday when I ask if he wants to play school he says yes and gets his book and crayon. The first day after we did A and B, I had him stop and he wanted to go on and asked why we had to be done with school for the day, but I don't want to overdo it for him either, I want him to keep enjoying school. He has a lot of years of it to come. Lets see how long it takes us to get to letter Z... Then its on to numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment